Design by Christy NaMee Eriksen. Soft enamel pin, 1" across.
Social justice hustle. The work. The constant grind. Writing press releases on your lunch break, dragging your kids to community meetings, making signs at midnight. The stuff you don’t see on tv or in the news; the everyday, ongoing, necessary toil of building our new world. It can be quiet, it can be big, it can be paperwork, it can be holding space. It looks different on everyone. But it means showing up each day for the good fight.
This week (June 1-June 7) we are donating 100% of profits from our Social Justice Hustle collection to support the uprising and relief in MN. 10% continues to support our annual donation (this year to Juneau NYO, see below for details), and the other 90% will be donated right now to three smaller MN organizations who are working on the ground and into the bright horizon: Black Table Arts, Minnesota Healing Justice Network, and Hallie Q Brown Community Center. They are feeding folks and rebuilding the city. They are BIPOC healers engaged in ongoing trauma response and long term healing justice efforts. They organize Black artists, build Black community power, and hold space for Black joy.
10% of all proceeds from our Social Justice Hustle collection is donated to a social justice cause. All 2020 purchases will support the Juneau School District's Native Youth Olympics (NYO) Team. Native Youth Olympics (NYO) is a statewide sport that includes 10 games to test skills of strength, agility, balance, endurance, and focus. The games are based on hunting and survival skills passed down for millennia that allowed the indigenous people of Alaska to thrive in the harshest conditions.
JSD’s Team Juneau NYO formed in the fall of 2017 to reintroduce Native Games as a sport to the middle school and high schools in Juneau. Team Juneau NYO is more than just a sports team. Along with training year round to strive to set their own personal best at meets around the state, the NYO program includes study groups, community volunteering, and a leadership program to train a new generation of NYO coaches.
Read more about our annual donations to Alaska Institute for Justice (2019), Sealaska Heritage Institute (2018), and the Juneau Housing First Project (2017) on our blog!